400-408 – Bob Cornuke, the "Christian Indiana Jones," is President of BASE – the Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration Institute (baseinstitute.org) in Colorado Springs. He's a former police investigator, a CSI in Costa Mesa and SWAT team member who's been on many adventures looking for biblical artifacts – from the Ark of the Covenant, to Noah's Ark, to Paul's shipwreck, to the actual location of Mt. Sinai in Arabia. He's got a Ph.D. in Bible and Theology from Louisiana Baptist University – and he's even featured on a Trivial Pursuit card about Mt. Sinai!
Today we talk about the location of the real Mt. Sinai. Bob is confident it is not on the Sinai Peninsula, but actually in northwest Saudi Arabia, in the land of Midian. Why? Because Galatians 4:25 says Mt. Sinai is in Arabia, and many early church fathers cited the location in Arabia too. Even today, locals in the are refer to the mountain as Jabal Moussa, The Mountain of Moses. Atop this mountain, that many believe is a volcano, are rocks that are charred and burnt. But, they are not volcanic, but metamorphic – they're granite. Around the mountain are all kinds of confirming evidence, including altars, Hebrew artifacts, boundaries erected every 400 yards, etc. Perhaps most spectacularly, there is a 40' split rock beneath which a dry waterfall remains, displaying evidence of massive erosion washing away the mountain side – this in an area that gets about half-an-inch of water every 10 years! To learn more, check out the DVD entitled Mountain of Fire from baseinstitute.org.
413-423 – Bob Cornuke
428-437 – Jordan Ballor is a research fellow at the Acton Institute (acton.org) and author of Ecumenical Babel: Confusing Economic Ideology and the Church's Social Witness. Today we talk about how liberal denominations are displacing the Bible with liberation theology, the social gospel, and Marxist ideology.
• Detroit News (6/17/2010) Ballor: Church activists shouldn't adopt separation as doctrine.
443-452 – Jordan Ballor
458-508 – Dr. Mark Baker, Clinical Psychologist and Executive Director of the La Vie Christian Counseling Centers (laviecounseling.org) in Pasadena and Santa Monica. His book, Jesus, The Greatest Therapist Who Ever Lived, has sold almost a million copies around the world! And you can hear Mark teach on emotional and spiritual growth at DrMarkBaker.com.
• Today we talk about Christians struggling with sadness and depression: Is depression a lack of faith? Is it a sin to take anti-depressant medications? Shouldn't Christians always be happy and filled with the joy of the Lord? How does Ecc 7:3 apply to us today? ("Sorrow is better than laughter, because a sad face is good for the heart.") Is it ever God's will that we go through the valley of depression, or should a Christian never journey that path?
• And, just for our KKLA listeners, call now for a 50-minute session with a Christian Counselor for the reduced rate of $25.00 by calling our KKLA Helpline (800) 801-5242.
• Guys often say when asked, "How are you feeling?" they say "I'm feeling fine." Mark says, "fine" actually means "feeling inside not expressed." Boy, how true is that!?
512-523 – Dr. Mark Baker
528-538 – Dr. Mark Baker
544-554 – Dr. Mark Baker
558-608 – Jerry Newcombe (jerrynewcombe.com), host and senior producer of The Coral Ridge Hour, the television outreach of the late Dr. D. James Kennedy, who pastored Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church for 48 years until his death in 2007. Jerry earned a B.A. in history from Tulane (1978), an M.A. in communications from Wheaton (1983), and a D.Min. from Knox Theological Seminary (2008) – where his dissertation was on the importance of America's Christian heritage and how we can pass on that heritage. Jerry's produced or co-produced over 50 television specials with Dr. Kennedy, and he's authored or co-authored 21 books, including his latest The Book That Made America: How the Bible Formed Our Nation. But, the book that's getting a ton of attention right now, thanks to Glenn Beck, is his book with Peter Lillback entitled George Washington's Sacred Fire.
Today we talk about George Washington, our Founding, and the increasing push-back against anti-Christian revisionism/
612-623 – Jerry Newcombe
628-638 – Jerry Newcombe
644-652 – Jerry Newcombe
• New York Post (7/4/2010) 'F' student graduates.
• Fox News (7/8/2010) Presbyterians continue to be divided over gays as leaders split on 2 gay-friendly measures. A 53% slim majority of PCUSA leaders voted yesterday to allow "non-celibate gays in committed relationships" to serve as clergy, joining the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, the U. S. Episcopal Church, and the United Church of Christ. And, an even more narrow majority, 51%, voted to keep marriage between a man and a woman – barely keeping the PCUSA from joining the only two other denominations to endorse gay marriage, the United Church of Christ, and the Unitarian Universalists.
• Fox News (7/9/2010) DOJ Reviews Mass. Rulings on Fed Gay Marriage Ban.
(2:01) Murder charges. (Julie Hayden with KWGN TV News Denver reports on the story of Robert Wallace @ 7/7/2010)
• KWGN Denver News (7/7/2010) Elderly man facing serious charge at thieves. He's 82, and faces attempted murder charges for firing two shots at two men who tried to run over him while stealing his flat bed trailer. He missed them. Both have prior arrest records, one of them confessed to the theft, and they're both likely in the country illegally. Neither has been charged.
• Dayton Daily News (7/8/2010) How local churches are putting a new spin on vacation Bible school.
• Chicago Tribune (7/4/2010) A downside to high teen self-esteem?