400-408 – • Los Angeles Times (7/12/2010) Schuller is not retiring as pastor, his daughter confirms. Would you continue to attend your current church if your current pastor moved out of state? What if he moved down the street? Are you committed to the church community or to the sermon? Much depends upon your involvement in the church community.
• Five Types of Church Government (aka Polity or Ecclesiology). The Bible teaches that Christ is the Head of the Church, and that Elders (presbyteros) oversee the Deacons (diakonos) who minister to the congregation. There have been five different applications of this in church history.
1) Senior Pastor Led (Sole Proprietor, e.g. Calvary Chapels)
2) Presbytery Led (Franchise Store, e.g., Bel Air Presbyterian)
3) Congregational Led (Employee Owned, e.g. Lake Ave Congregational Church)
4) Bishop Led (Corporate Store, e.g. In N Out, and Episcopal churches)
5) The Plurality of Elders Led (Senior Partnership)
413-423 – Calls
428-437 – Dr. Erwin Lutzer, has been the Senior Pastor at The Moody Church in Chicago since 1980, is the author of more than 20 books, and the featured speaker of "The Moody Church Hour," "Songs in the Night," and "Running to Win." His brand new book that we talk about today is entitled When a Nation Forgets God: 7 Lessons We Must Learn From Nazi Germany.
443-452 – Dr. Erwin Lutzer
458-508 – John Eastman (claremont.org/ccj), stepped down in April as the Dean of the Chapman University School of Law to run for California Attorney General in the recent election, but he came up a little short. His J.D. is from the University of Chicago, he clerked from Justice Clarence Thomas, and he's a Ph.D. in Government from Claremont Graduate University. Today we talk about the Obama Administration lawsuit against the Arizona immigration law.
512-523 – John Eastman
528-538 – John Stonestreet, Executive Director of Summit Ministries (summit.org) in Colorado Springs, a worldview-apologetics ministry that each year holds intensive conference-retreats across the country. They'll be hosting 12 intensive two-week Student Worldview Conferences in 4 states this year: Colorado, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Virginia. Go to summit.org for more info. They also have worldview curriculum for elementary, middle, high, and Sunday schools. And, check out their online lecture series, that has the top 150 lectures ever given at Summit!
Today we talk about failure of secular humanism in the 20th century.
544-554 – John Stonestreet
558-608 – Jill Martin-Rische, daughter of the original Bible Answer Man, Walter Martin, and today Executive Director of Walter Martin Ministries (waltermartin.com). She's a trained apologist in her own right, co-author of The Kingdom of the Occult. If you've dabbled in the occult and want to talk about it, contact Jill at email@example.com.
Today, we talk about some of the mystery religions of the Roman Empire that some say gave rise to the "The Savior Myth" of Jesus. Was Jesus a syncretic copycat savior of the Egyptian Osiris, the Greek Dionysus, and the Persian Mithra, as popularized by James Frazer in his 1890 book The Golden Bow? Did John combine these ancient savior myths into Christianity?
612-623 – Jill Martin-Rische
628-638 – Elyse Fitzpatrick, (elysefitzpatrick.com) she runs Counsel from the Cross Ministries and has written many books including her latest Counsel From The Cross with Dr. Dennis E. Johnson.
Elyse is speaking at the fifth annual Women Discipling Women Conference this Friday and Saturday at the Warner Center Marriott in Woodland Hills sponsored by the Master's College MABC program. Register is at wdwconference.org.
644-652 – Elyse Fitzpatrick
• Washington Times (7/11/2010) More women lured to pornography addiction.
• Fox News (7/12/2010) Governors: Obama's Immigration Suit Is 'Toxic'.
• Fox News (7/09/2010) U.S., Mexican Officials Say They Can't Confirm Arrest of Hezbollah Operative on Border.
• Stephen Spruiell (7/12/2010) Mechanical Failure.
• Michael Barone (7/12/2010) Government Spending Can't Fix the Economy: Obama sends Americans to their mattresses.
• Los Angeles Times (7/12/2010) Schuller is not retiring as pastor, his daughter confirms.
• NBC Los Angeles (7/12/2010) Cops Show Marines How to Take on the Taliban.