• I'll be sharing my testimony at all five services this weekend at Shepherd of the Hills in Porter Ranch, twice on Saturday at 500pm and 630pm, and three times on Sunday at 830am, 10am, and 1130am, including 11am at the Westside Campus near UCLA. For info, go to theshepherd.org.
400-408 – Nancy Pearcey, editor-at-large of The Pearcey Report (pearceyreport.com), has recently moved down to head up the graduate cultural apologetics program at Houston Baptist University, and she's on the short list of the best evangelical minds in America. She was the founding editor of Chuck Colson's "Breakpoint," and for nine years was executive editor of the program, authoring more than 1,000 commentaries herself. She's written several books, including: The Soul of Science (1994), How Now Shall We Live? (2004), Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from Its Cultural Captivity (2004), and Saving Leonardo: A Call to Resist the Secular Assault in Mind, Morals, & Meaning (2010).
413-423 – Nancy Pearcey, Her cultural apologetics approach is modeled after Francis Shaeffer, and the program has two components: the Arts (people are more influenced by stories than arguments), and Worldview, where all the disciplines become integrated (e.g., what's the Christian view of economics?).
428-438 – Nancy Pearcey, Nancy share stories of what cultural transformation looks like, and doesn't look like (her examples are from Africa).
443-452 – Nancy Pearcey, Overcoming the sacred-secular split that began with the Great Awakenings.
458-508 – Mark Baker, Clinical Psychologist and Executive Director of La Vie Christian Counseling Centers (DrMarkBaker.com, KKLA Helpline (800) 801-5242) in Pasadena and Santa Monica, and author of the million-copy bestseller Jesus, The Greatest Therapist Who Ever Lived. There are 9 basic emotions: Anger, Fear, Sadness, Hurt, Surprise, Disgust, Shame-Guilt, Joy-Happiness, Love.
• Today we talk about couples fighting over not having enough money. Is there a "Christian way" to fight? Yes, just as iron sharpens iron – but if done improperly, you just blunt the blade.
• Anger is simply "energy to solve a problem." It's like the red idiot indicator light on the dash, indicating that there's something wrong in the engine and if you don't address it, then you're in for big expensive problems. You don't get mad at the light, it's there to help you. Only a fool ignores it. The smart thing to do is to find out why the light is on. The same with anger – the anger light is on for three reasons: hurt, frustration, or fear.
Mark is co-sponsor of, and he'll be speaking at, our upcoming Financial Restoration Seminar.
• LINER – KKLA invites you to our free Financial Restoration Conference on Saturday, July 28th, from 830am – Noon, at the Glendale Hilton. This event feature experts discussing real financial solutions for real financial problems. Come out early to enjoy a free light-breakfast on us! Register now at kkla.com!
512-523 – Mark Baker, Remember – God has given you the perfect person to perfect you – able to surface all your flaws, enhance all of your strengths, and expose all your latent skills. When you fight, remember it's all about you learning something new about yourself.
528-539 – Mark Baker, Great call – the couple is having their first child this fall, and neither one of them knows how to actually live on a budget.
544-554 – Mark Baker,
558-608 – Grant Horner, one of the most-popular and eclectic professors up at the Master's College (masters.edu), he also teaches at Trinity Classical Academy (trinityclassicalacademy.com) in Valencia, is also a world-class mountaineer with lots of YouTube videos (High Sierra Climbing) of his one-day sprint-ascents of lots of big peaks – like El Capitan in Yosemite in 17 hours, or Mt. Whitney this past January! He did 10 peaks in 2011, and he's hoping for 12 in 2012. Professionally, last Fall, he spoke at Oxford on "Islam, Christianity, & Classical Enlightenment Liberalism." And then with regards to culture…. what's up with MTV's latest show My First all about following young people on the quest to lose their virginity? Oh, and he's developed a Bible-reading system used all over the world in the past 4 years by hundreds of thousands – just Google "Professor Grant Horner's Bible Reading System" or click here. [Thanks to his student Dolores Michaelson for bringing this to my attention – Grant never told me!] Grant and Joann have been married for 29 years, with two sons and a daughter – Seth 26 (married to Carmen), Josiah 24 (married to Linda from Uganda), and daughter Rachel 18. His latest book is Meaning at the Movies: Becoming a Discerning Viewer (2010) (Amazon).
612-623 – Grant Horner, Describe your Bible reading system.
628-639 – Grant Horner, Where are young people "at" these days? Your incoming freshmen?
644-656 – Grant Horner, Let's talk about Nolan's Batman franchise.
• Washington Times (7/15/2012) PICKET:(VIDEO) Obama - 'If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen'.
President Barack Obama addressed supporters in Roanoke, Virginia on Friday afternoon and took a shot at the business community. President Obama dismissed any credit business owners give themselves for their success:
There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn't -- look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.
The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.
• Fox News (7/16/2012) Romney campaign calls Obama remark to business owners 'insulting.
• AP (7/16/2012) Calif. cities eye plan to seize mortgages.