400-408 – • AFP (11/3/2011) Obama: God backs jobs plan.
// The president rebuked the House of Representatives for passing a bill reaffirming the US motto "In God We Trust" rather than getting to work on his stalled $447 billion jobs program.
"That's not putting people back to work. I trust in God, but God wants to see us help ourselves by putting people back to work," the president said.
Obama's spokesman Jay Carney denied that Obama had perhaps gone too far by dragging the Almighty into a fierce political spat.
"I believe that the phrase from the Bible is 'the Lord helps those who help themselves,'" Carney said.
"I think the point the president is making is that, you know, we have it within our capacity to do the things to help the American people."
The White House was later forced to clarify however that the phrase Carney used, though often mistaken for scripture, was not in fact biblical. //
• Blue Letter Bible, Sayings Not Found in Scripture.
• God helps those who help themselves – appears in 5th BC Aesopian Fable "Hercules and the Wagoneer," and later popularized in Benjamin Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanac. The Bible teaches, "He who trusts in his own heart is a fool, But he who walks wisely will be delivered," (Proverbs 28:26). See also Jeremiah 17:5.
• Moderation in all things – a loose paraphrase of Aristotle's doctrine of the mean, which he never intended to mean "a moderate amount of a bad thing is better than no amount of a bad thing." Paul's "temperate in all things" is better translated "wholly self-controlled" at 1 Cor 9:25.
• Spare the rod, spoil the child – a paraphrase of Proverbs 13:24 "He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently." See also Proverbs 22:15, 23:13-14, and 29:15.
• To thine own self be true – is from Hamlet (3.1.81) not the Bible, as is "Neither a borrower nor a lender be" (3.1.78).
• Once saved, always saved – a tautology loosely based on the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints.
• Money is the root of all evil – An incorrect paraphrase of the Biblical "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils," (1 Timothy 6:10).
• Cleanliness is next to godliness – the Bible address internal, not external cleansing; God is more concerned about you having a clean heart than clean hands. (1Jn 1:9 – If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. John 15:3 – You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 2 Corinthians 7:1 – Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. James 4:8 – Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Ephesians 5:26-27 – So that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.
• This too shall pass – this is found as early as the Old English poem Deor (10th AD). For the Christian, Romans 5 teaches us to look forward to what awaits us after our suffering, not to be comforted by the end of an earthly trial.
• God works in mysterious ways – though a Biblical concept taught in the oldest book of the Bible (Job), this locution may have originated from William Cowper's hymn by that title in late 18th century. Deut 29:29 – The secret things belong to the Lord our God. Romans 8:28 – And we know that all thing work together for the good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose.
• The eye is the window to the soul – the Bible doesn't speak of the eye as a window to the soul, only a lamp to the body. Matthew 6:22 – The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. Luke 11:34 – The eye is the lamp of your body; when your eye is clear, your whole body also is full of light; but when it is bad, your body also is full of darkness.
• The lion shall lay down with the lamb – a common juxtaposition of two verses in Isaiah, the lion will actually lay with the calf and the fatted calf and eat straw like the ox, while the lamb will lay with a wolf. (Isaiah 11:6, 65:25).
• Pride comes before the fall – an abbreviated version of the Biblical "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall," (Proverbs 16:18).
• Do unto others as you would have them do unto you – though a biblical teaching, this phrasing is not in the text of the original languages of the Bible, though it appears in the current NIV dynamic equivalence translation (thought for thought, not word for word). This phrasing originates in the Roman Catholic Catechism from 1567.
423 – The FREE Line In The Sand event is coming to the Rose Bowl, Saturday, November 11th, pre-register at kkla.com.
428-438 – • Basic Bible Translations
1) LITERAL translations match to the original languages on a "word for word" basis, e.g., Interlinear, New American Standard Bible, Amplified, English Standard Version, Revised Standard Version, King James Version, New King James Version, New American Bible.
2) DYNAMIC EQUIVALENCE translations match to the original languages on a "thought for thought" basis, e.g., Holman Christian Standard Version, New Revised Standard Version, New Jerusalem Bible, New International Version, New Century Version, New Living Translation, Good News Bible, Revised English Bible, Contemporary English Version (The Promise).
3) A PARAPHRASE is not really a translation, because it is not constrained by the original language at all. Instead a paraphrase tries to convey merely the larger idea in order to improve readability, e.g., The Living Bible, The Message. NEVER BASE THEOLOGY OR ANY BIBLICAL ARGUMENT ON A PARAPHRASE.
• Ryan Ries and the Whosoevers are back from their 30-day Murder Your Flesh Tour across the US, and this coming Friday night, 11/4 @ 730pm, they'll be sharing about their trip with special music by Scott Cunningham, and the Rep will also be performing live. Don't miss the Official Whosoever Record Release Party for The Rep's new album, this Friday night, out at Calvary Chapel Golden Springs in Diamond Bar (thewhosoevers.com).
• We have some things to give away: two Tim Tebow books, and the entire 2011 Deeper Conference on DVD.
443-452 – •• Jana Winter (Fox News, 11/3/2011) ACORN Officials Scramble, Firing Workers and Shredding Documents, After Exposed as Players Behind Occupy Wall Street Protests.
• Jana Winter (Fox News, 10/26/2011) EXCLUSIVE: ACORN Playing Behind Scenes Role in 'Occupy' Movement.
My Summary –
New York ACORN became New York Communities for Change in 2009.
Jon Kest ran ACORN and now runs NYCC.
NYCC pays about 100 former ACORN staff $100 a day to "work" at the OWS protests.
NYCC pays dozens of homeless people $10 an hour to "work" at the OWS protests.
NYCC staff go door-to-door raising money for worthwhile-sounding causes but spend the money on OWS.
Jon Kest has been planning these events since February 2011.
• TheBlaze.com (10/7/2011) VIDEO EXPOSING HOW 'OCCUPY WALL STREET' WAS ORGANIZED FROM DAY ONE BY SEIU/ACORN FRONT – THE WORKING FAMILY PARTY, AND HOW THEY ALL TIE TO THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION, DNC, DEMOCRATIC SOCIALISTS OF AMERICA, TIDES AND GEORGE SOROS. Who's really behind the "spontaneous" Occupy Wall Street park-ins now plaguing 80 cities in this country, that began with the Day of Rage on September 17th? This whole thing was planned months ago by Stephen Lerner, anti-capitalist and union agitator who sits on the International Executive Board of the SEIU, and ACORN founder Wade Rathke, who was president of the SEIU in New Orleans. This link takes you to audio from The Left Forum on March 19, 2011, in which Lerner lays out his plans for what would become OWS. OWS is just part of an anti-banking jihad that hopes to bring down the stock market, a new financial collapse, and eventually the global end of capitalism. Lerner had reportedly visited the White House four times before this all started. Lerner has been called an "economic terrorist." There're lots of YouTube videos of him.
458-508 – David Hegg, Senior Pastor of Grace Baptist Church in Santa Clarita (gracebaptist.org), an adjunct prof at Master's College, blogs at heggthought.com, and with his co-author Carl Moeller from Open Doors, has written a new book entitled The Privilege of Persecution: And Other Things that the Global Church Knows That We Don't (link). And, he's recently finished a second book entitled The Obedience Option: Because God Knows What's Good for Us (link).
512-523 – David Hegg, What would the pastors of the Third World teach us if they could? Discipleship? Social justice? Holiness?
TH 523 – Don Rohde @ Galpin Ford (818) 262-2092 (galpin.com) For the past 39 years, Don's been sales manager at Galpin, the #1 volume Ford dealer in the world for the past 21 years.
528-539 – Scott Daniels, Dean of APU's School of Theology (apu.edu) and senior pastor at Pasadena First Church of the Nazarene (paznaz.org), his radio show "Faith Works" can be heard Sunday mornings on KKLA at 1130am. His latest two books are: The First 100 Days: A Pastor's Guide, and Seven Deadly Spirits: The Message of Revelation's Letters for Today's Church.
• APU has three free exhibits now open thru November 21st to commemorate the 400th Anniversary of the King James Bible: 1) Handwritten manuscripts and illuminated Bible leaves dating back to 1250. 2) The Four Holy Gospels exhibit featuring the art of Makoto Fujimura. 3) An exhibit featuring the Influence and Architecture of The Historic Black Churches of Los Angeles. For more info, go to apu.edu/kingjamesbible/exhibits.
544-554 – Scott Daniels,
558-608 – Theodore J. Smith, III, Deputy District Attorney for San Bernardino County and former Chairman of the African-American Caucus of the California Democratic Party from 1999 to 2007.
• Jonathon M. Seidl (Blaze, 11/3/2011) RIOT GEAR AND BONFIRES: OCCUPY OAKLAND DEGENERATES INTO 'CHAOS' OVERNIGHT.
• Victor Davis Hanson (NRO, 11/3/2011) Who Are These Fat-Cat Few at the Top? A successful society neither idolizes nor demonizes its rich.
612-623 – Ted Smith,
628-639 – Ted Smith,
644-654 – Ted Smith,
• Dalibohr Rohac (NRO, 11/3/2011) Greece's Overdue Default: Why the euro is unraveling and what it means for the United States. — Dalibor Rohac is the deputy director of economic studies at the Legatum Institute in London.