400-408 – Ron Prentice, Executive Director of the California Family Council (californiafamily.org), and a marriage and family counselor, with an update on Assembly Bill 499.
• Ron Prentice (CFC, 9/14/2011) Taking Things Into Our Own Hands.
** If you call Governor Jerry Brown's automated phone line, you'll probably hear a "busy" signal. That's because Assembly Bill 499 is one of only two bills highlighted on Governor Brown's voicemail system. This means that Brown's offices have received enough calls to warrant an automated polling system (to spare his staff from hearing from irate citizens). Mentioned in last Friday's CFC release, AB 499 allows a child as young as 12 to receive treatment related to sexually transmitted diseases (STD), without informing the child's parents or guardians. Currently in California, a girl as young as 12 may receive medical treatment including birth control and abortion outside the knowledge of her parents. AB 499 would further reduce parental involvement by allowing girls or boys to receive confidential medical counsel and treatment for STDs. At the center of resistance are the issues of parental authority and the drug Gardasil, used against the human papilloma virus (HPV), an all-too-common STD that may lead to cervical cancer in women. To voice your opinion about parental rights to the governor by phone, call his automated line at 916-445-2841. Be prepared to keep trying, as a "busy" signal is likely.
• Ron Prentice (CFC, 9/9/2011) Sexually-transmitted Disease and Parent Knowledge.
413-423 – Calls – If 12 year old girls in California can already get birth control and even get an abortion without their parents knowing about it, what's the big deal if they're also allowed to get STD counseling and treatment and even Gardasil without parental notification?
428-438 – Calls –
443-452 – Michele Bachman (michelebachmann.com), congresswoman from Minnesota and Republican Presidential candidate, is in town for the California Republican Party convention at the J.W. Marriott Hotel on Olympic tomorrow night, and then she's speaking out at the Orange County Fair Grounds in Costa Mesa on Saturday morning at 900am. Michele and her husband Marcus just celebrated their 33rd anniversary last Saturday, and not only do they have 5 children of their own, they've also been foster parents to 23 children, most of them teenagers.
458-508 – Dr. John Shieh, of RejuvaYou Medical Spa in Pasadena (rejuvayou.com, 626-441-8968), shares his story. John has been featured on Keeping Up with the Kardashians (5/17/2008), and Entertainment Tonight (12/2/2008). Started in family medicine in 1997, then moved to aesthetics in 2001, specializing in non-surgical cosmetic techniques, especially using light and radio frequencies to treat the common "brown" and "pink" skin discolorations and wrinkling, enabling the body to rejuvenate itself – success validated not only by the obvious visual improvement, but by older skin being tested in the lab and testing younger, literally postponing the aging process.
512-523 – Dr. John Shieh
TH 523 – Don Rohde @ Galpin Ford (818) 262-2092 (galpin.com) For the past 39 years, Don's been sales manager at Galpin, the #1 volume Ford dealer in the world for the past 21 years.
528-539 – Dr. John Shieh.
544-554 – Dr. John Shieh
558-608 – Lad Allen, Producer and Director at Illustra Media (illustramedia.com), creators of Darwin's Dilemma, The Case for a Creator, Unlocking the Mystery of Life, The Privileged Planet, and coming up this Saturday afternoon (9/17) at Plummer Auditorium in Fullerton, they're premiering their new film Metamorphosis: The Beauty And Design of Butterflies. Unfortunately they're already sold out.
612-623 – Michele Bachman (michelebachmann.com), congresswoman from Minnesota and Republican Presidential candidate, is in town for the California Republican Party convention at the J.W. Marriott Hotel on Olympic tomorrow night, and then she's speaking out at the Orange County Fair Grounds in Costa Mesa on Saturday morning at 900am. Michele and her husband Marcus just celebrated their 33rd anniversary last Saturday, and not only do they have 5 children of their own, they've also been foster parents to 23 children, most of them teenagers.
628-639 – (2:11) Robertson in context. (Pat Robertson on the 700 Club on 9/13/2011 along with co-host, Terry Meeuwsen.) In his television broadcast Tuesday, Christian televangelist Pat Robertson said that in certain cases, it may be ethically permissible for a spouse to divorce a husband or wife stricken with Alzheimer's "if [the non-ill spouse] is going to do something" with a new partner. "I know it sounds cruel," Robertson said in answers to a viewer's question, adding that although Christian marriage vows are binding "to death do us part" ... "this is a kind of a death." "I certainly wouldn't put a guilt trip on you if you decided that you had to have companionship, you're lonely, and you're asking for some companionship," Robertson said, clarifying that the spouse would have to ensure that his wife would have "somebody looking after her."
(:24) Robertson short.
• Washington Post (9/15/2011) Pat Robertson: Divorce an option for Alzheimer's patients' spouses (Video). Link to the comment in context at the 51-minute mark is here. Calls: How can we call ourselves 'set apart' from the world if we make moves like this- divorcing a spouse because Alzheimer's is "a type of death"?
644-654 – Calls –
• Mario Loyola (NR, 9/15/2011) Houston, We Have a Solution.
• Paul Ryan (NR, 9/15/2011) On the Rule of Law: Paul Ryan celebrates the wisdom of the Constitution. A transcript of Rep. Paul Ryan's speech today at Hillsdale College in commemoration of Constitution Day.
• Sol Stern (NR, 9/15/2011) The Palestinian Big Lie: The Palestinians distort the origins of the conflict with Israel.
• Paul Peterson & Daniel Nadler (WSJ, 9/15/2011) A Blue-State Bailout in Disguise. Our new study shows that under the Obama jobs bill, debt-ridden states will get another big handout.
• Fox News (9/12/2011) Facebook Find Reunites Mother and Son After 12 Years. Kattia Liebers is reunited with her 17-year-old son, Jared, after being reunited with him after 12 long years, thanks to Facebook. He had been living in Israel with his father. Kattia kept her married name all these years so her son could perhaps find her. He's moved back to the US.
(2:25) Reunited FB Story. (Chris O'Connell reporting for Fox 29 in Philadelphia on 9/12/2011.)