Thanks to the 1500 people who came out on Saturday for our KKLA Family Fun Day here at the studios in Glendale!
400-408 – • Christian Post (7/18/2011) Fox News Host: Romney Obviously Not a Christian. The June 2011 Pew poll says 58% of white evangelicals see no problem in supporting a Mormon candidate, which means 42% do.
• Warren Cole Smith (Patheos, 5/24/2011) A Vote for Romney Is a Vote for the LDS Church. One evangelical explains why he cannot support Mitt Romney for President.
(1:39) FNF Romney comment in context. (Dave Briggs, Clayton Morris and Ainsley Earnhardt are talking about Rick Perry and Mitt Romney and their ability to fundraise. The video clip link is here. This event happened on Fox News Network on Fox and Friends 7/17/2011.)
(:12) FNF Romney comment short. (Comment is made by Ainsley Earnhardt. First "he" in the comment references Perry.)
413-423 – • Frank Pastore (Townhall, 4/28/2011) Mormonism: Religion, Denomination, or Cult?
// In 1820, a 14 year old farm boy named Joseph Smith went to the woods to pray about the religious turmoil going on around his hometown of Palmyra, New York. Revivals had broken out, and young Joseph didn't know which of the denominations to join. So, he prayed for guidance. God the Father and Jesus appeared to him in bodily form, and he was told, "I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: "they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof." (Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith History, 1:19).
Joseph claims he was told all Christianity was heretical, and that he would be correcting eighteen centuries of error.
The Mormon message is clear: historic Christianity false, Joseph Smith's visions true.
Three years later, on September 21, 1823, in another vision, the angel Moroni appeared and told him of an ancient book written on golden plates buried nearby in Hill Cumorah. He was shown the location, but was prohibited from taking the plates. Moroni told him the plates recorded the history of an ancient American civilization written in Reformed Egyptian Hieroglyphics – an utterly unique language for which there is no evidence – and that he was to translate them with the aid of two magical seer stones called the Urim and Thummim. Moroni had been given the plates by his father Mormon, and Moroni had buried them prior to his death in the final great battle between the Nephites and the Lamanites that took place near Cumorah in 385AD. After 1,400 years, Moroni – now an angel – had returned to direct Joseph Smith to the plates.
In 1827, Smith was finally allowed to take the plates just long enough to finish the translation before they were to be returned to Moroni. In May 1829, while Smith and Oliver Cowdery were praying in a forest near Bainbridge, Pennsylvania, John the Baptist appeared and conferred the Aaronic priesthood to them. Later, Peter, James, and John appeared and conferred upon them the Melchizedekian priesthood. The translation was completed in three years, and the Book of Mormon was published in March, 1830. On April 6, 1830, Smith and five others formed The Church of Christ in Fayette, New York. After two name changes over the next four years, they settled on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. //
428-438 – Calls – Would you vote against a Mormon candidate just because their Mormon? Isn't that religious bigotry?
443-452 – (:27) Romney Faith Speech 1. Candidacy not defined by his religion. (Romney speech 12/6/2007 delivered at George Bush Presidential Library in College Station, TX.. Link to the transcript and full audio is here.) "I do not define my candidacy by my religion. A person should not be elected because of his faith nor should he be rejected because of his faith. Let me assure you that no authorities of my church, or of any other church for that matter, will ever exert influence on presidential decisions. Their authority is theirs, within the province of church affairs, and it ends where the affairs of the nation begin."
(:33) Romney Faith Speech 2. What Romney believes about Jesus Christ. "There is one fundamental question about which I often am asked. What do I believe about Jesus Christ? I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior of mankind. My church's beliefs about Christ may not all be the same as those of other faiths. Each religion has its own unique doctrines and history. These are not bases for criticism but rather a test of our tolerance. Religious tolerance would be a shallow principle indeed if it were reserved only for faiths with which we agree."
(:06) Romney 2 short. Belief in Jesus Christ. "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior of mankind."
• But, who is the Jesus of Mormonism? Lucifer's spirit brother, a created being conceived through physical sex between Elohim and Mary, a polygamist married to Mary, Martha, and Mary Magdalene, who between his crucifixion and resurrection visited the Nephites in North America?
458-508 – Calls – I have two big problems. First are those Christians who will not vote for Romney because he's a Mormon, in my book, that religious bigotry and deeply confused. Second, is the blurring of the lines between Christianity and Mormonism, from both directions. Simply, I'll vote for Mitt if he wins the nomination, but I won't back off on explicating why Mormonism is a cult of Christianity.
• bigotry |ˈbigətrē| noun – intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.
512-523 – Calls –
528-539 – Calls –
544-554 – Calls – When you say you're more likely to vote for a Christian candidate, what you really mean is that you're more likely to support legislation and the implementation of policies that are consistent with your Christian worldview. Therein lies the problem. Many "Christians" advocate policies that other "Christians" disagree with – higher taxes, abortion, same-sex marriage, foreign policy, etc. It still comes down to character and track record when considering political candidates.
558-608 – Calls – Quick history of Mormonism again, then back to calls.
612-623 – Calls –
628-639 – Calls –
644-654 – Calls –
• Christian Post (7/16/2011) Apologist Josh McDowell: Internet the Greatest Threat to Christians. Calls – Do you agree? If so, what can you do about it? Doesn't each generation have its own "new technology" that is a threat to morality? (Think: the printing press, books, newspapers, photography, radio, television, VHS, video games, and now the net?)
• Christian Post (7/17/2011) Crystal Cathedral Members Start Petition to 'Save' Megachurch. So far, 330 people have signed the petition. Great time to review the different types of church governments. Calls – What warning signs led you to leave your former church?
• Michael Boskin (WSJ, 7/18/2011) Get Ready for a 70% Marginal Tax Rate. Some argue the U.S. economy can bear higher pre-Reagan tax rates. But those rates applied to a much smaller fraction of taxpayers than what we're headed for without spending cuts. Mr. Boskin is a professor of economics at Stanford University and a senior fellow at the Hoover Institution. He chaired the Council of Economic Advisers under President George H.W. Bush.
• Fox News (7/18/2011) Convicted Murderer Sues Prison Guards For Saving His Life.
• Michael Barone (7/18/2011) What the Debt-Limit Battle Is All About. The debate may be complicated, but the issue is basic.
Crystal Cathedral Members, Former Members, Friends and HOP Viewers: It is time to rise up and take our church back! Please sign this petition to change our BOARD to a TRULY INDEPENDENT BOARD.
THIS MEANS: NO FAMILY MEMBERS, NO PAID STAFF, NO PAID CONTRACTORS.
This is the FIRST STEP.
We have been in contact with the CLASSIS and SYNOD of the RCA Denomination Headquarters, who governs our Church, and they will help us.
BUT WE NEED YOUR SIGNATURE.
We will be circulating this PETITION to all the Fellowship Classes as well. So please sign your Name if you want to see a change in our CRYSTAL CATHEDRAL BOARD.
WE NEED YOUR HELP and SUPPORT NOW.