400-408 – Steve Siler is a singer-songwriter with over 400 songs recorded for the Christian market, and is the Founder and Director of musicforthesoul.org where you will find songs, videos, spoken words and personal stories to help you heal from the deepest places of pain in your heart, from breast cancer to divorce, to everything else. Steve's also the guy behind the DVD Somebody's Daughter: A Journey to Freedom From Pornography (somebodysdaughter.org), and there's a bunch of free downloadable resources on the site that can help you or your men's group or your church. Somebody's Daughter was birthed when John Mandeville called Steve to ask for help because pornography was destroying his life.
413-423 – (Somebody's Daughter) Steve Siler.
428-438 – (Into The Light) Steve Siler
443-452 – (Traitor) Steve Siler
458-508 – Steve Siler. Calls – Were you a victim of child sexual abuse?
• AP (2/6/2011) Child porn prosecutions soaring in U.S. There have been 10,000 FBI arrests for child pornography since 1996. The FBI has seen a 2,500% (25X) increase in child-porn arrests. In 2009 alone, there were 2,315 suspects indicted on child-porn charges.
• If you suspect abuse is occurring in a situation you've seen or heard about, if you see something suspicious, you can call one of these hotlines anonymously, and they'll followup on your tip. (800) 540-4000 – Los Angeles Child Abuse Hotline. (800) 207-4464 – Orange County Child Abuse Hotline. (800) 442-4918 – Riverside Child Abuse Hotline.
• Kids Tears, "Shocking Statistics."
Nearly 25% of child victimizers were age 40 or older, but about 10% of the inmates with adult victims fell in that age range.
Convicted rape and sexual assault offenders serving time in State prisons report that two-thirds of their victims were under the age of 18, and 58% of those--or nearly 6 in 10 imprisoned violent sex offenders--said their victims were aged 12 or younger.
In over 90% of the rapes of children less than 12 years old, the child knew the offender, according to police-recorded incident data.
This problem affects all of us, whether you have children or not. According to the Center for Sex Offender Management, 30 percent of adult sex offenders were sexually abused as children. If we each do our part, we can break the cycle and protect our children from sexual predators.
Here are some other statistics about sex offenders and their young victims that may surprise you and debunk some myths. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, in the U.S.:
- Two-thirds (67 percent) of all victims of sexual assault reported to law enforcement agencies were under the age of 18 at the time of the crime.
- One of every seven victims of sexual assault reported to law enforcement agencies was under age 6.
- The year in a male's life when he is most likely to be the victim of a sexual assault is age 4; a female's greatest risk is at age 14.
- Nearly half (49 percent) of the offenders of victims under age 6 were family members.
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, the typical sex offender molests an average of 117 children, although most offenses are never reported.
- 80 percent of convicted adult rapists admit to molesting children.
- 80 to 95 percent of sex offenders assault people they know.
- Less than 30 percent of sex crimes are reported.
- Young victims who know or are related to the offender are least likely to report the crime.
It is estimated that in America there are 60 million childhood sexual abuse survivors.
512-523 – (Free) Steve Siler
528-539 – Steve Siler
544-554 – Steve Siler. For all my listeners, if you put "KKLA" in the subject heading, Steve will send you some stuff. Contact him through the Music For The Soul "Contact Me" at his website (musicforthesoul.org).
558-608 – Jack Thompson is an expert on the dangers of violent video games, having written many laws against them in several states. He was an advisor to Senator Hillary Clinton when she went after the makers of violent video games, and has been on 60 Minutes twice, and The Today Show eight times. Sadly, the gaming industry and Howard Stern have succeeded in getting Jack disbarred in Florida. But, God has opened the door for Jack to go to Knox Seminary, where he currently attends.
• 60 Minutes (2/11/2009) Can A Video Game Lead To Murder?
• LA Times (6/27/2011) Supreme Court lifts limits on sale of violent video games to minors. California's restrictions on the sale of violent video games to minors violate the 1st Amendment, the Supreme Court says in a 7-2 ruling. Five justices rule that under no circumstances can the government be allowed to protect children by limiting violence in the media.
• Entertainment Software Association (6/27/2011) ESA Welcomes Sweeping U.S. Supreme Court Ruling on Constitutional Protections for Video Games. Landmark Ruling Hailed as a Win for First Amendment and Artists.
612-623 – Jack Thompson
628-639 – Jack Thompson
644-654 – Jack Thompson
• Daily Mail (6/27/2011) U.S. soccer team booed in their own country as Mexican fans turn LA into an 'away' game.
• Victor Davis Hanson (6/27/2011) Mexifornia, Quite Literally!
• Bill Plaschke (LA Times, 6/25/2011) In Gold Cup final, it's red, white and boo again. Mexico rallies for a 4-2 win over U.S. behind overwhelming support at Rose Bowl. In what other country would the visitors have home-field advantage?
• Fox Business (6/27/2011) Dodgers File for Chapter 11 as McCourt Struggles to Keep Club.
WED • LA Times (6/27/2011) L.A. Unified's new homework policy gives students a break. Homework will now count for only 10% of a student's grade. Critics — mostly teachers — worry the policy will encourage students to slack off assigned work and even reward those who already disregard assignments. On Wednesday, we're having on Etta Kralovec, co-author of The End of Homework and a University of Arizona associate professor.
• Tom Krattenmaker (USA Today, 6/27/2011) Can cause of social justice tame our culture wars?