Archives

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

FOOD FOR THE POOR   (foodforthepoor.org) (866) 433-HOPE (4673)
FFTP runs at 96% efficiency, meaning just 4% goes to administrative overhead.  Last year they built 2,000 homes in Jamaica (7,000 in the Caribbean), bringing their total since 1982 to over 40,000 homes in the Caribbean and Latin America!  Right now, 15,000 families in Jamaica are on the FFTP waiting list for a new home.  Today's homes will be built in Newhall, in the central part of the island, not far from the beautiful resort town of Ochorios.
• The mission of FFTP is at the very heart of our ministry and mission here at KKLA:  to link the church of the First World with the church of the Third World.  We live for this!  If not us, who?  If not now, when?  In Jamaica, there's no FEMA, and even the Red Cross and the Salvation Army depend upon the critical ministry of FFTP!
• There's no government social safety-net on this predominantly Christian island country.
• Partnership with the church – The face of FFTP is the local pastor.
• Dispelling Poverty Myths – The poor in Jamaica are not like the homeless on Skid Row.  They want a hand up, not a hand out: "Just a chance."
• See the Difference a House Makes (before/after) – What is the meaning of a new home?  Privacy, the self-esteem that comes from home ownership, roots.
• Each 12x18, 216 sq. ft. home is a one-room wooden structure with a cement foundation ($87), a leak-free zinc roof ($160), two locking doors and two louvered windows ($335), and even a front porch.  It can be built in less than a week!
• We're asking you for a one-time gift of $260 (10X) or $130 (20X).
• Or, make a whole house gift for $2,600, and we'll provide your business with a $3,500 KKLA Advertising Package.
• See the difference your gift makes at kkla.com!
FOOD FOR THE POOR   (kkla.com) (866) 433-HOPE (4673)
1) Suzette Walker – "My name is Suzette Walker, I live in Newhall district.  I have 5 children.  The house that I live in is in a terrible condition.  We don't have a bathroom, we don't have a toilet, we don't have facilities.  The kitchen is a small kitchen. I  live in a small house and please I'm asking whoever is listening, I'm asking for help, I'm in urgent need of help."
2) Sherrie Ann Rambatha – "My name is Sherrie Ann Rambatha, I live in Newhall district.  My mom's name is Suzette Walker and my dad's name is Nathan Rambatha."  Sidney:  "How do you feel about not going to school today?"  Sherrie:  "Well, I don't feel any way because my mom tries a lot to send us to school.  As you can see, my sister and I not doing much, we just live on the farm."  Sidney:  "So, dad's a farmer but there's not much farming to be done."  Sherrie:  "Yes."
3) Suzette Walker – "As a single mom hungry and farming and the family's not really up to date on that, It's really hard and difficult, I have to make a choice this morning, a very hard one.  I have 3 girls going to school and I have to choose which one is more important this morning and it's really not easy making that choice, It's hard."
4) Judith Reid – "I would say to someone who is more fortunate than me, I have a dream and I believe in life.  Whatever you have and you have that you can share, share to the best of your heart.  I believe in life, that you reap what you have, what God has blessed you with to share.  I know somewhat of the struggles they are going through as a mother.  I think it's a duty for us to bear kids and help them achieve their goal, and if someone out there was willing to help me, and I'm asking, and to share some knowledge because I know God is willing and able to help me, and I hope and pray today that he send somebody so that my kids will have a future."
5) Pastor Paul Hemmings – "It's really a pleasure and a great privilege working with Food For The Poor.  You know over these years Food For The Poor has been doing a fantastic job, a job which I really admire and I feel honored to be part of and to partner with Food For The Poor just because of the work that you are doing.  And we say a big thanks to you, and that you would continue doing what you are doing.  You are changing people's lives, you are changing people's circumstances, you are changing people's situation."
6) Judith Reid – "My prayer to the Lord tonight would be Lord help those who would help me and no matter how small it is because you say knock and it shall be opened, seek and you shall find, and he also helps those who help themselves.  And I think and I know God has been working somewhere for me and my prayer to you is thanks for the help you are sending me because I know it will be coming."
7) Norma Midwinter – "I feel so good about my new house, I love my new place and my family also loves it.  I would thank all the people who put this house together for us because you know this is not an easy road to do this thing.  So with God the first thing. I love it so much, I love it, I just love it so much."
8) Desrene Tugman – "I just want to tell you keep up the faith.  What you are doing is a good job and I pray the good Lord will give you strength and power that you can help me."
9) Desrene Tugman – "I tell the lord very much. Each night as I go to bed I pray to the Lord. I say, Lord thank you Jesus.  Thank you for being so good to me, to provide a house for me that I have been longing for. I am so grateful."