Archives

Thursday, May 5, 2011

• Dr. Dobson will be our special guest-speaker at two upcoming events, both on Thursday, May 26th – first, our Pastor's Luncheon at the Universal Hilton that's free to all church staff and their wives, and second, our big listener event that evening at Lake Avenue at 7pm.  They're both free, but you need to pre-register with us at kkla.com.

400-408 – • Vanity Fair (5/3/2011) Katy Perry on Her Religious Childhood, Her Career, and Her Marriage to Russell Brand.   She's the June cover of Vanity Fair, which hits the stands today.  Her real name is Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson.

"My career is like an artichoke," Katy Perry tells Vanity Fair contributing editor Lisa Robinson. "People might think that the leaves are tasty and buttered up and delicious, and they don't even know that there's something magical hidden at the base of it. There's a whole other side [of me] that people didn't know existed."

Perry, who tells Robinson that she wants her ashes shot out over the Santa Barbara coast in a firework, reveals that one side of her she has definitively left behind is her born-again upbringing. "I didn't have a childhood," she says, adding that her mother never read her any books except the Bible, and that she wasn't allowed to say "deviled eggs" or "Dirt Devil." Perry wasn't even allowed to listen to secular music and relied on friends to sneak her CDs. "Growing up, seeing Planned Parenthood, it was considered like the abortion clinic," she tells Robinson. "I was always scared I was going to get bombed when I was there…. I didn't know it was more than that, that it was for women and their needs. I didn't have insurance, so I went there and I learned about birth control."

"I think sometimes when children grow up, their parents grow up," Perry says of her evangelical-minister parents. "Mine grew up with me. We coexist. I don't try to change them anymore, and I don't think they try to change me. We agree to disagree. They're excited about [my success]. They're happy that things are going well for their three children and that they're not on drugs. Or in prison." Perry's mother confirms that she is proud of her daughter's success, telling Robinson, "The Lord told us when I was pregnant with her that she would do this."

"I come from a very non-accepting family, but I'm very accepting," Perry says of her religious beliefs as an adult. "Russell is into Hinduism, and I'm not [really] involved in it. He meditates in the morning and the evening; I'm starting to do it more because it really centers me. [But] I just let him be him, and he lets me be me." Perry says she didn't stick with the mold growing up. "I have always been the kid who's asked 'Why?' In my faith, you're just supposed to have faith. But I was always like…why?" she says. "At this point, I'm just kind of a drifter. I'm open to possibility…. My sponge is so big and wide and I'm soaking everything up and my mind has been radically expanded. Just being around different cultures and people and their opinions and perspectives. Just looking into the sky."

413-423 – Calls – I hate legalism.  Like Katy Perry, do you also believe that you didn't have a childhood because of your strict (i.e., legalistic) Christian upbringing?  Many kids tend to swing in the other direction when they have children of their own, if you were raised lenient, did you start out as a strict parent?  Or, vice versa, were you raised strict and started out as a more lenient parent?  Do you think kids raised in a strict household tend to rebel more often than kids in a lenient household? 

Steve Arterburn says that "rules without relationship creates rebellion" have you found that's true in your own life?

Katy says she didn't get good answers to her "why" questions, she was supposed to just "have faith" – did you have that in common with her too?

If you rebelled, what brought you back?  What should we as the church learn from your experience?

428-437 – Calls

443-452 – Calls

458-508 – David Hegg, Senior Pastor of Grace Baptist Church in Santa Clarita (gracebaptist.org), an adjunct prof at Master's College, blogs at heggthought.com, and with his co-author Carl Moeller from Open Doors, has written a new book entitled The Privilege of Persecution: And Other Things that the Global Church Knows That We Don't (link).  And, he's recently finished a second book entitled The Obedience Option: Because God Knows What's Good for Us (link).  And, he's doing "The Bible in 200 Minutes", a five-week series, which started this past Sunday.  Today, we talk about David's "allergy to legalism," bouncing off our "why we lost Katy Perry" first hour.

512-523 – David Hegg,

523 – Don Rohde @ Galpin Ford (818) 262-2092 (galpin.com)  For the past 39 years, Don's been sales manager at Galpin, the #1 volume Ford dealer in the world for the past 21 years.

528-539 – David Hegg, & Calls

544-554 – David Hegg, & Calls

Just a few minutes ago on our Facebook page from Eduardo Lopez,

Hey Frank, I learned this from a researcher about successful and unsuccessful parents I order of importance:  1. Authoritative: rules with love (balanced).  2. Permissive: love with few or no rules.  3. Authoritarian: rules no love (legalistic). 4. Neglect: no rules no love.

558-608 – David Hegg, & Calls. 

612-623 – David Hegg, & Calls.  Should Frank play secular bumpers?

628-639 – David Hegg, & Calls.  David summarizes "law and grace," i.e., the Old Testament and the New Testament.

644-656 – David Hegg, & Calls.  How do we "love" Osama bin Laden.

• Fox News (5/3/2011) 'Passion of the Christ' star Jim Caviezel says playing Jesus sunk his career.

• CBS Detroit (5/4/2011) Report: Nearly Half Of Detroiters Can't Read.

• Reuters (5/5/2011) FEATURE-Scientist seeks to banish evil, boost empathy.  Cambridge psychopathology professor and world-renowned expert in autism, Simon Baron-Cohen, says that we need a new theory of human cruelty – that the word "evil" is not good enough – and that the real source of evil actions is a lack of empathy – the ability to place oneself in another's shoes.  His new book on this, The Science of Evil, comes out in July.